xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: Praying for Pastors

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Praying for Pastors

June 3, 2014

Dear St. Paul’s Family,

Over the past year, I have been impressed by Pope Francis.  It is rare that a church leader of such high ranking can institute such a degree of sweeping reform, both in substance and scope, in such a short amount of time.  Like most other religious institutions, the Roman Catholic Church is predisposed to stability rather than spontaneity, status quo rather than going with the flow.  But Pope Francis has made a remarkable impact, beginning with his first speech the day he was elected, on March 13, 2013, when he offered the following surprising words:

And now I would like to give the blessing. But first I want to ask you a favour. Before the Bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence.

Commentators remarked that it was the first time that a pope had ever solicited the prayers of the people during an inaugural address.  And then a few months ago, to mark the one-year anniversary of his election, he tweeted this simple phrase on March 13, 2014:

@Pontifex:  “Please pray for me.”

Such humility and transparency from a spiritual figure should not surprise us, but it does.  Many times, Paul asked for the prayerful support of the churches he was serving.  Elijah, Moses, and David all needed the companionship of others to get through their lowest moments.  Even Jesus asked his inner circle of disciples to pray by his side during his greatest hour of need the night before he died. 

So I hope it is not a surprise for you to hear me say that I covet, appreciate, and cherish the prayers you offer on my behalf.  As much as others might see my position as being spiritually unshakeable, I trust you know that all clergy – including your pastor – are sustained in part by the support of the people we serve.  In fact, just this last Sunday, one of you came into my office unannounced as I was preparing for worship, simply to give me a hug and gently say, “I want you to know that I’m praying for you every day.”

Truly, I treasure those prayers.

And now is an important time to offer them.  We are on the brink of yet another few days of gathering as an Iowa Annual Conference.  From Saturday to Monday, clergy and lay delegates from across the state will come together in Des Moines, for a time of holy conferencing, in which we will pray, plan, and discern God’s future for the Conference.  And next week, my Florida colleagues will be gathering to do the same.  There are important challenges, heated controversies, and significant pressures facing the United Methodist Church today, and those are bound to be debated with sizeable passion and zeal.  And aside from these business proceedings, Conference gatherings also afford times for reconnections among clergy, to catch up on personal and ministerial stories of triumph and trial, and find solace and support in each other’s listening ears.   

These are critical days for United Methodist preachers everywhere. So, as I often do this time of year, I offer this invitation for you to be in prayer for me and colleagues throughout the denomination over the days and weeks ahead.

To prompt you in those prayers, here is a poignant prayer written by John of Damascus, a seventh-century Syrian monk and priest.  Listen for the precision with which he captures the breadth and complexity of being a minister, and we’ll find that much of what he prayed for then is still quite relevant 1,400 years later. 


Now you have called me, Lord, by the hand of your bishop to minister to your people.  I do not know why you have done so, for you alone know that.  Lord, lighten the heavy burden of the sins through which I have seriously transgressed.  Purify my mind and heart.  Like a shining lamp, lead me along the straight path.  When I open my mouth, tell me what I should say.  By the fiery tongue of your Spirit make my own tongue ready.  Stay with me always and keep me in your sight. 

Lead me to pastures, Lord, and graze there with me.  Do not let my heart lean either to the right or to the left, but let your good Spirit guide me along the straight path.  Whatever I do, let it be in accordance with your will, now until the end.

And you, church, are a most excellent assembly, the noble summit of perfect purity, whose assistance comes from God.  You, in whom God lives, receive now from us an exposition of the faith that is free from error, to strengthen the church, just as our fathers handed it down to us.  Amen.


I continue to be grateful for the opportunity to serve as your pastor, with great gratitude for the support and prayers you offer me, my family, and other pastors like me.  These are important days to be the church, and I am privileged to serve the Kingdom of God alongside you.

Grace and Peace,

Magrey


The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA  51012
Ph:  712-225-3955

No comments:

Post a Comment