xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: The Great Wager

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Great Wager

Holy Week, 2014

Dear St. Paul’s Family,


The Great Wager

How is it proved?
It isn’t proved, you fool; it can’t be proved.
How can you prove a victory before
It’s won?  How can you prove a man who leads
To be a leader worth the following,
Unless you follow to the death, and out
Beyond mere death, which is not anything
But Satan’s lie upon eternal life?
Well – God’s my leader, and I hold that he
Is good, and strong enough to work his plan
And purpose out to its appointed end.

I walk in crowded streets, where men
And women, mad with lust, loose-lipped, and lewd,
Go promenading down to hell’s wide gates;
Yet have I looked into my mother’s eyes
And seen the light that never was on sea
Or land, the light of love, pure love and true,
And on that love I bet my life ….

…. I bet my life on beauty, truth,
And love!  Not abstract, but incarnate truth;
Not beauty’s passing shadow, but its self,
Its very self made flesh – love realized.
I bet my life on Christ, Christ crucified.


(By G.A. Studdert-Kennedy (1883-1929)
Anglican priest, poet, World War I military chaplain, and pacifist)



On behalf of the staff and lay leadership of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, I wish you and yours a blessed Holy Week and a Happy Easter.

Grace and Peace,

Magrey


The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA  51012
Ph:  712-225-3955




HOLY WEEK AND EASTER SCHEDULE

Maundy Thursday, 7:00pm.  Service of Holy Communion
Good Friday, 7:00pm.  Service of Tenebrae
Easter Morning:  Identical Services at 7:00am and 10:10am
Fellowship in the new kitchen and dining hall between services

CHURCH CLEAN-UP DAY SATURDAY
To prepare for the debut of our new kitchen and dining hall, and in anticipation of our many visitors on Easter morning, we are having a church-wide clean up day this Saturday, from 9:00am to 12noon. 

OFFICE CLOSED MONDAY
In observance of Easter, the office will be closed next Monday, April 21. 






No comments:

Post a Comment