xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: Honoring Mandela

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Honoring Mandela

December 10, 2013

Dear Advent Pilgrims,

Today the world joins in honoring Nelson Mandela, whom I believe was the most transformative public figure in my lifetime. When South African apartheid ended with a fully democratic election in 1994, President Mandela began the long, difficult work of bringing a severely polarized nation together.  He advocated and embodied forgiveness and reconciliation, demonstrating the impact those principles could make on a national scale. 

Mandela was simply practicing what Jesus had preached thousands of years ago; the fact that we honor his witness today not only speaks of his extraordinary life, but also of the sad rarity of forgiveness and reconciliation in such a violence-addicted and revenge-soaked culture.

Perhaps it is fitting that Mandela died during the season of Advent, a time when we name the shared journey marks our life as a church.  We spend these days longing for peace, straining for hope, and squinting through furrowed brows for signs of a brighter tomorrow.  Mandela called his journey “A Long Walk to Freedom,” and titled his autobiography the same. 

Since his death, and in preparation for today’s funeral, I re-read portions of my copy of A Long Walk to Freedom, and offer his words to you as an encouragement for us to continue our own journeys toward the light of Christmas. 

Regarding his Christian roots as a Methodist:
While the faith of the Mbekela brothers (Christians from another tribe) did not rub off on my father, it did inspire my mother, who became a Christian.  In fact, Fanny was literally her Christian name, for she had been given it in church.  It was due to the influence of the Mbekela brothers that I myself was baptized into the Methodist, or Wesleyan Church as it was then known, and sent to school. 

On the power of the Church to transform the world:
For me, Christianity was not so much a system of beliefs as it was the powerful creed of a single man:  (Methodist preacher) Reverend Matyolo.  For me, his powerful presence embodied all that was alluring in Christianity.  He was as popular and beloved as the regent, and the fact that he was the regent’s superior in spiritual matters made a strong impression on me.  But the Church was as concerned with this world as the next:  I saw that virtually all of the achievements of Africans seemed to have come about through the missionary work of the Church. 

On his philosophy of leadership:
As a leader, I have always followed the principles I first saw demonstrated by the regent at the Great Place.  I have always endeavored to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion.  Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a consensus of what I heard in the discussion.  I always remember the regent’s axiom:  a leader, he said, is like a shepherd.  He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind. 

On the remarkable transformation in South Africa, and in the human heart:
I never lost hope that this great transformation would occur.  Not only because of the great heroes I have already cited, but because of the courage of the ordinary men and women of my country.  I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity.  No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion.  People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite. 

Final reflections on his journey:
I have walked that long road to freedom.  I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way.  But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.  I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come.  But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended. 

Mandela’s long walk has now come to rest.  But the journey toward freedom endures for all of us. 

Grace and Peace,

Magrey 


END OF THE YEAR GIVING
With a few weeks remaining this year, we are grateful for your share in helping us finish the year strong in meeting all of our budgetary expenses.  We are about $14,000 from making our budget, which is certainly within reach if we each play a part.  For your contribution to count toward your 2013 financial giving statement, make sure it is postmarked to the church no later than December 31.

THIS WEEK:  CHILDREN’S CHRISTMAS PROGRAM
Join us for a wonderful Sunday featuring our children’s ministry as they offer their annual Christmas program.  Relive the joy and the drama of the birth of Jesus, as our kids read the Christmas story, sing your favorite carols, and act out the characters.  It is always a highlight of our Advent season.

COOKIE SALE THIS SUNDAY

As you do your cookie baking this season, reserve a plate or two of your creations and bring them to the narthex prior to the service this Sunday.  Plates of cookies will be sold by our Adult Class, and proceeds will fund ministries and programs of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment