xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: The Reviews are In!

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Reviews are In!

November 19, 2013

Dear St. Paul’s Family,

The reviews are in!  Over sixty individuals completed our six-week journey called A Disciple’s Path, and I wanted to share with you comments from some of the participants:


The weekly topics made me think deeper about how those aspects of the Methodist principles relate to my daily life.

It made me think about my faith and beliefs in ways I never had.  I understand how important it is to have God in my life. 

It made me think about some things I had not before.  I enjoyed reading the Bible verses and how they related to the lessons.  Revisiting the history of the Methodist church was beneficial.

I enjoyed the group I was in.  It made me reevaluate my Christian faith and how to convey it to others. 

This class reaffirmed some things that were helpful to reaffirm, and it added a context to my faith journey that I didn’t earlier feel. 

Disciple’s Path made me more comfortable in my journey through life. 

Each week I learned something.  The small group discussions help as you find that others do not “have all the answers.”  You are not intimidated.  I feel it has advanced me on “the path.” 

Disciple’s Path took me through parts of the Bible that I might not have tackled.  It made me think about my own faith, and it made me evaluate my spiritual gifts to consider what else I could do for the church. 

I really got to know everyone in our group.  We were able to open up to each other… great group!  This was a wonderful class.  I enjoyed it so much. 

It was big just getting me to be involved in a study!  It helped me to realize that whatever stage I’m in in my “walk” is okay and I am encouraged to keep moving forward. 


What a great response!  And as moved as I am by these testimonies, I am equally grateful for the wonderful work by our facilitators, without whom we could not have all of these classes every week.  Thank you to Linda Burkhart, Dave and Linda Appleby, Missy Jenness, Laura Benson, Jenny Burroughs, Sheree and Louis Hasumann, Meribeth Adams, Connie Hankens, and Bruce Dagel.  They did a wonderful job creating a warm, nurturing environment for people to explore their spiritual journeys with each other. 

For all of us, these last six weeks have been a time of learning about our Wesleyan heritage and learning practical ways to strengthen our commitment to Jesus Christ and the church through our prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness.  That series concluded last Sunday with our Commitment Sunday celebration, in which you brought forward your commitment forms.  Each one of us plays an integral part of claiming the bright future God has for us in 2014 and beyond, and your estimates of giving will help us plan ahead.  If you haven’t turned in your commitment form, please do so as soon as you can.  You can mail them directly to the office.

And join us this Sunday as we observe the final Sunday of the church’s liturgical year.   It is Christ the King Sunday, when we celebrate the one who has come already to rule and reign over all creation, and look forward to the future advent of that same Christ who will make all things new. 

As we wind down another wonderful year of ministry together, I look forward to a great future with you, as we journey along the disciple’s path together.

Grace and Peace,

Magrey 

The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA  51012
Ph:  712-225-3955
Email:  mdevega@sp-umc.org


OFFICE CLOSED TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
As part of our renovation in the kitchen and fellowship hall, we will be upgrading our electrical service to the campus.  Starting Tuesday morning, Mid-American Energy will shut off the power to the whole campus, and work will be completed by the end of the business day Wednesday.  As such, the offices will be closed Monday and Tuesday, but Andrea and I will still be able to receive and respond to email remotely.  Because we anticipate the work will be completed by Wednesday afternoon, we are not cancelling Wednesday night youth groups or music practices.  Should that change, we will make an announcement via email, Facebook, and KCHE radio.  

RING BELLS FOR SALVATION ARMY

Once again, we are taking the lead in ringing bells for the Salvation Army this year.  Consider signing up for at least an hour on Black Friday, November 29, or every Saturday until Christmas.  We would especially encourage you to sign up for November 29 or 30, as those will be heavy shopping days.  Sign-up sheets are in the narthex, or you can call the church office.  For more information, contact Mary Jo Carnine.

No comments:

Post a Comment