xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: Zambonis and Baptism

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Zambonis and Baptism


January 5, 2011

Dear St. Paul’s Family,

It has been at least twenty-five years since I last wore a pair of ice skates, which should have been no surprise to those at The Depot in Minneapolis last Thursday night. While vacationing in Minnesota, Jessica and I took the girls on their first ice skating excursion, choosing a renovated train station that has become a popular venue for those looking for a night of smooth gliding.

I’ll save you the particulars of how I did; suffice it to say that while I didn’t fall once, I did a lot more rail hugging than pirouetting, and I was lapped by skaters half my height and a fifth my age. I did manage to skate hand-in-hand with both our girls and with my wife, so the night was, overall, a lovely success.

During one of the break periods, we sat and watched the zamboni resurface the rink. Madelyn and Grace were mesmerized as the giant machine slowly, steadily, drove around the oval, in concentric patterns, working over the roughed up ice. They asked me how zambonies worked, so I masked my ignorance with an answer only Calvin’s dad could appreciate. I explained that a blade smoothes out the ice’s sharp edges cut up by the skaters’ blades. A spray squirts a thin layer of hot water that coats over nicks and the cuts, and freezes to form a new layer on top. I have no idea how it all works, but we could all see the result: a fresh looking, smooth-as-silk surface, ready to be enjoyed.

Preachers are always seem to be on the lookout for sermon illustrations that can come from any source at any time. With Baptism of the Lord Sunday in a few days, I thought about how the waters of baptism and the work of God’s grace function a lot like that zamboni. Granted, I know little more about how baptism works than a zamboni, but it’s all still a mystery. There’s something about the waters of baptism that eliminates the harsh, worn consequences of sin in our lives and washes us with a fresh, clean layer of new life and new possibility. It draws together a community, inviting people to join in a mutual experience of joy and harmony.

At my previous church, the clergy team offered a monthly baptism class. I taught the first one, having been just a few years removed from seminary. I came to the class prepared with an army of school notes, textbooks, and historical documents. I was ready to impart a graduate-level crash course on sacramental theology.

So when someone asked the question, “What does baptism mean?” I opened the intellectual floodgates. I gave a five-fold answer. Complete with support from Wesley’s sermons, the Nicene Creed, and my seminary textbooks. My answer was complete, articulate, and magnificent.

Then I looked at their faces. Glazed looks. Fingers drumming on tabletops. Eyes on wristwatches. After a long silence, someone turned to the other associate pastor and said, sheepishly, “Um, Bernie? What do you think baptism means?”

Bernie’s response was seasoned with many years of common sense and an economy of words: “At the moment of baptism, God looks at you and says, ‘You are mine. I made you and I claim you. The world will try to get its hands on you, but I will never let you go. You are my child.’”

It’s still the finest definition of baptism I’ve ever heard.

This Sunday, join us for Baptism of the Lord Sunday, when we’ll gather at the baptismal font, remember our baptism, and reaffirm our baptismal vows. And we’ll hear the words of God to each of us: “You are my child, my beloved. In you I am well-pleased.”

Grace and Peace,

Magrey

The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA 51012
Ph: 712-225-3955
http://www.cherokeespumc.org



GOSPEL CHOIR THIS SUNDAY
We are delighted to welcome the gospel choir “Consecrated” from Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Sioux City. This choir has grown to up to 80 voices since its creation thirty years ago. They have performed before President Obama, dignitaries at the Iowa Governor’s Mansion, and recently performed its first live recording at the beautiful Orpheum Theatre in Sioux City. Join us at 2:00 in our sanctuary for this powerful concert, where we will be receiving a free-will offering.

JAZZ FESTIVAL BRUNCH AFTER CHURCH
After this Sunday’s service, join us downstairs in the Fellowship Hall for a brunch featuring the music of the Aurelia Jazz Band. It is offered to the community, as part of the Cherokee Jazz and Blues Festival. A free will offering will be taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment