xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: Thankful

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful


November 25, 2010

Dear St. Paul’s Family,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I trust that on this day and over the long weekend, you will have ample opportunities to offer thanks for all the many blessings in your life. May your days be filled with the comforts of family and friends, a sense of peaceful contentment, and the promise of a future secure in God’s love.

May you also take a moment to give thanks for the ongoing work of St. Paul’s as it fulfills its mission of putting God’s love into action by transforming lives, improving the community, and changing the world. I invite you to read through each of the submissions in our Daily Devotional Booklet, available in the church office. We asked each contributor to reflect on the question, “How have I seen God’s love put into action through the St. Paul’s community?” Of particular interest is today’s reading, from C.W. Miller.

From the moment C.W. first started attending St. Paul’s a few years ago, he was eager to grow in his faith and become active in the church. I did not fully know C.W.’s story until later, when he shared the amazing work of transformation that God had been doing in his life. As you read his story below, remember that C.W. is one of the many reasons St. Paul’s exists.


He Loves Even Me”
When I ponder the phrase God’s love in action, I can’t help but reflect on my past. I had a time in my life when I was the prodigal son when it came to my faith. At times I was so wrapped up in the world that I had little use for other people and even less regard from them. I was able to act the part of being a constructive member of society for the most part, but unless you had something I wanted, or needed your help, I really didn’t care. There were a lot of people who did not like me at that point. I couldn’t blame them; I didn’t like me much either. I tried to fill that hole in my life with several hobbies, and when that didn’t work, I tried to find comfort in the bottom of a bottle. Luckily God saw to it that I did have some true friends who called me on my behavior. It was because of one in particular that I made a decision not to continue with the life of dependency on worldly elixirs.

God continued to provide help for me as I started my new path. He put people in my life who where able to provide the guidance I needed, sometimes with gentle coaxing, sometimes with blunt honesty. I was forced to take a moral inventory of myself. It was at that point when I was sure all was lost, God gave me a wonderful gift. On a particularly bad night I asked God for help, or I was going to the liquor store. I went to bed early that night to avoid the potential. The next morning I awoke and my desire to drink was gone. God loved me even in that broken state, just the way I was; however, he loves me too much to let me remain in that state. He called to me through loosely remembered bits of His word from back in the days I went to church in my youth. I became hungrier for more of His word and started to listen to Christian radio, something that I had openly shunned. That led to coming to this church without having it feel like a funeral or wedding.

Yes, looking back on my life I have no doubt in my mind that I desperately need Christ to be my savior in order to receive forgiveness. I am amazed at God’s Love in Action, and that he loves even me.

C.W. Miller


TOGETHER IN FAITH

I love C.W.’s line: God loved me even in that broken state, just the way I was; however, he loves me too much to let me remain in that state. That is about as good a definition of grace that I’ve read. And it’s because of that grace that we exist as a church: to reach out to more people with a love that meets them where they are, but loves them too much to leave them there.

Lest you think otherwise, our capital campaign is not just about bricks and mortar. It’s not about building monuments to ourselves. It’s about creating a movement of God’s spirit that will continue working in the lives of people. It’s about equipping future generations of this church with the best possible tools to make a difference. This Sunday, we’ll focus our attention on Jesus’ parable of the wise and foolish builders in Matthew 7:24-27. And after the service, you’ll want to pick up your commitment packet that contains your pledge card. Please spend next week prayerfully considering how you will be a part of Commitment Sunday on December 5, and help to build a better future.

May we all take time over these days to be thankful for what God is doing in and through the people of St. Paul’s.

Grace and Peace,

Magrey

The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA 51012
Ph: 712-225-3955
http://www.cherokeespumc.org



HOME GROUP GATHERINGS

If you haven’t yet had a chance to attend one of our home group gatherings, there are several opportunities to do so next week. You will have a chance, in an informal setting, to learn more about the renovation project and ask questions. The time will last about an hour and a half and will begin with refreshments provided by the host family. The program will include an informative (and very entertaining!) 13-minute video, a brief stewardship Bible study, and a talk by one of our presenters. You’ll have a chance to ask questions, offer comments, and be better prepared to make your commitment on December 5.

Please sign up for one of the following groups, either by marking your preference on a bulletin attendance sheet, at the sign-up table in the narthex this Sunday, or by response to this e-mail or to Andrea Cook at acook@cherokeespumc.org If you have any special needs that would prevent you from attending one of these sessions, such as a ride or a sitter for your children, please contact our Special Needs Coordinator Sheree Hausmann or indicate it on your attendance form.

DATE HOST FAMILY TIME
Mon, Nov 29 Roni Timmerman, 7:00pm
Mon, Nov 29 Gene & Jean Anderson, 7:00pm
Tues, Nov 30 Dick and Betty Point, 7:00pm
Wed, Dec 1 Jeff and Korrie Waldner (here at the church), 6:30pm
Wed, Dec 1 Marlin and Sherri Lode, 7:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment