xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' The Mid-Week Message: Important Mid-Week Message Announcement

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Important Mid-Week Message Announcement

June 30, 2009
 
Dear St. Paul’s Family,

Read ahead for some news I am excited to share with you, as well as an important announcement regarding the Mid-Week Message during the month of July.

 
THE FLEDGLING WORDSMITH

I was not born to be a writer.  Perhaps most people aren’t.  If anything, I was wired to be a rhetorician, more comfortable from behind the pulpit than holding a pen.  When I was ten, my mother walked into my room and caught me practice-preaching to my pillows; I mimicked the movements and phrases of the preachers I saw on television.  In my world, words are released into the open air, caught for a moment, then gone.
 
But two years ago, upon my arrival as your pastor, I started writing this weekly e-mail message.  It is a tactic I learned from a clergy friend at my previous church, and its intent has always been two-fold:  to minister and to market.  My hope has been that along the way you’ve gained some useful insight into the spiritual life, and given you some incentive to come each Sunday and hear more.  My Mid-Week Message is meant both to teach and to tease.
 
Along the way, something intrinsically beautiful has happened. Knowing that people would read my words in the comfort of their environment, at the pace of their own reflection, I’ve thought more carefully about the shape of my writing. These aren’t transient words, which may or may not fall on people’s ears as they float about in a sanctuary. These words can take hold, dig deep, and grow to lingering impact.  And the reason I know this is quite simple. Writing the weekly message has changed me.  Taming the language to express my deepest reflections has helped me observe the complexity and nuance of every day life, connecting the daily practice of living with the mystery and ambiguity of my own spirituality.  The weekly discipline of constructing a written word has honed my attentiveness to the activity of God in and through mundane events and ordinary people.
 
And more surprisingly, many of you have told this non-writer-since-birth that I need to explore these composition skills further, and see where it might lead.  Among these people is my wife, who encouraged me to apply for a unique experience offered by the Collegeville Institute, an educational retreat center in St. John’s University near St. Cloud, Minnesota.  

 
A GREAT OPPORTUNITY

It is called “Writing and the Pastoral Life,” and is a week-long exploration of how the discipline of writing can deepen and strengthen my work as a pastor.  It is led by Eugene Peterson, the renowned professor, pastor, and author of the international bestseller
The Message.  After submitting a sample of my writing back in February, I was privileged to be one of 12 individuals from around the country selected to receive a grant and an invitation to be part of the workshop, which will take place from July 6 – 13.  (For more information about the event, visit http://collegevilleinstitute.org/writing.)
 
There are many reasons I am eager to attend this event.  Among them is my excitement in meeting and learning from Eugene Peterson, whose writing has been formative in my ministry over the years. More importantly, I believe that becoming a better writer will make me a better pastor.  As I clarify my voice and sharpen my language skills, I will gain a deeper understanding of my vocation as your minister, and aid others connecting the simplicity of the gospel with the complexities of human existence through my sermons, newsletter articles, Mid-Week messages, and weekly radio broadcasts.  Whether or not this leads to some kind of publishing opportunity, I hope that becoming a better wordsmith will make me a better Word-bearer.  I appreciate your prayers for me to that end.
 
Because I will be gone next week for this experience, and will be spending July 20 – August 1 with the family in Florida and Washington, D.C., I will be suspending the writing of the Mid-Week Message until August.  During the two Sundays that I will be out of the pulpit, I am grateful to have the Rev. Harold Werley (formerly of the Aurelia church) preach on July 12 and Chuck Tolzin preach on July 26.  During the days that I am gone, the office will have a list of area pastors who have agreed to respond to pastoral emergencies in my absence.
 
Thank you, St. Paul’s, for being the fertile ground for my freshly discovered writing gifts. I look forward to sharing the fruits of these discoveries with you.
 
Grace and Peace,
 
Magrey   

The Rev. Magrey R. deVega
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
531 W. Main St.
Cherokee, IA  51012
Ph:  712-225-3955
http://www.cherokeespumc.org


 


DAVID SERIES CONTINUES THIS SUNDAY
Join us as we continue our sermon series on the life of David with a sermon called “Standing Up When Life is Down.”  Hear the extraordinary story of David’s life on the run, and the incredible choices he made when life was tough.  We’ll be observing the Sacrament of Holy Communion together.  And if you have not yet picked up your daily scripture reading bookmark, stop by the church or visit our website.  
 
 

“The Boy Who Would Be King”
Lessons from the Life of David

July 5
“Standing Up When Life is Down”
(Hanging Tough in Tough Times)
1 Samuel 21:1-9, 24:1-22
 
July 12
Rev. Harold Werley
Guest Preacher
 
July 19
“Crime and Cover-Up”
(David’s Sin and Confession)
2 Samuel 11-12, Psalm 51
 
July 26
Chuck Tolzin
Guest Preacher
 
August 2
“Passionate Praise”
(David the Worshipper)
2 Samuel 6
 
August 9
“Looking to the Future”
(David’s Last Words)
2 Samuel 23
 
 

VOLUNTEER MOWERS NEEDED
Mowers, start your engines!  It’s time again for us to solicit volunteers to assist in cutting the church’s lawn every weekend. A sign-up sheet is available at the church or by calling the church office.  Contact Al Henn with questions.  
 
CHURCH-WIDE POOL PARTY
Back by popular demand, we will be having our annual summertime pool party at the Bacon Aquatic Center on Sunday, July 12, from 8:00-9:30pm.  Individuals and families of all ages are invited, and best of all, the cost is free!

No comments:

Post a Comment